Things I wish I had known about twin pregnancy and beyond!





I was one of those very blessed individuals who was able to actually DELIVER a set of full term , fraternal twins without a caesarean. It was definitely one of the most rewarding experiences ever! And in a later post, I will explain the delivery and hospital visit, but for now I want to share with you some things I wish I had known, hehehe…


Your feet will Swell…
This pregnancy was my fifth pregnancy that actually lasted longer than 10 weeks. I only say that to validate that I knew what pregnancy did to My body! However, during my second trimester, I woke up one day with the Elephant feet!
This was horrible. It just kind of happened. I was walking around doing my own thing, went to bed and BOOM it happens, you get up to dress yourself in the morning, which is a chore anyway being prego with twins, and now ALL of your shoes are too tight. And if you CAN get them on, they aren’t coming off until the end of the day when you can get someone to pry them off with a crow-bar, LOL.

You may only look big to yourself…
You really don’t look like you’re pregnant with twins….you just look pregnant. I can remember telling people that I felt BIG. And I DID feel big, but I was also a pregnant woman, so the concern really didn’t faze the rest of the world, like it did myself. When I looked in the mirror I didn’t see twice the baby, I saw twice the woman , LOL.


Sometimes they just want their Mommy…
Your babies will write a song about you. It’s called, “I want my mommy and no one else will do!” And just like a radio version of “My heart will go on, By Celine Dion” They serenade you with that song a couple of times a day, literally. I can remember lots of times wishing that someone else could hold them so they would stop crying, but alas, once they were handed back to me , even without a diaper change, or nursing, they were instantly contented. So there I was, even after delivery….back to carrying two babies, LOL.

They are twins…but these two will remain TWO….
After their birth, don’t expect them to be synchronized in their daily lives as infants. There was this sort of intuitive expectation that because they were twins and shared the same date of delivery, they would also share many of the same mannerisms and milestones. This is a Farce! I have twins who are as opposite as night and day, while being as similar as comparing apples to apples. They are a paradox! One will be sleeping, while the other is awake. Then one will cry when the other is content, one will love a bath while the other would rather wait another time, one was eager to start solid foods while the other could have cared less. If anything, they are definitely two individuals. And when I treat them as such, then intentionally putting them on the same schedule is less of a challenge, because I am making a deliberate effort. No more of this thinking that, “because they are twins, they will WANT to do everything together”. That’s just Hogwash! LOL

It is LITERALLY Double Diaper Duty…
The amount of disposable diapers we use in one day is literally 16-22! This is no exaggeration. So that is one pack of jumbo sized diapers per week. Sometimes, I change a diaper on one twin and by the time I start to change the other twin, my first twin is ready for another! It’s crazy. I really don’t want to know how many diapers we have gone through so far, I am sure I would have a small heart attack, LOL.

You will feel like you are busy, ALL the time…
So, yes I have finally accepted that I have a “large” family. Having twins has “sealed” the deal. I feel busy ALL day long! I purposely wake up one hour before my family does, just so I can have time to collect my thoughts before the kids hit the ground, literally, running. I spend anywhere from 4 hours to 24 hours in my home on any given day. Every day is different, doctors appointments, church services, ladies’ dinners, music lessons, you name it, there are a plethora of reasons to be in and out of the house on a given day! And leaving the house takes preparation, just like any other task that I maneuver on a daily basis. However, even in the hustle of the day, I try to keep the dishes clean and the laundry going. This is not because I am in the running for Martha Stewart Mother of the Year, but because we literally have twice the amount of forks as spoons( and everyone Always wants a spoon! LOL) and because atleast half of my kids still go through two changes of clothes or more in one day. So with that being a reality for us right now, I am constantly moving through the house cleaning as I go or preparing to clean up so that we can eat, get dressed, play a game, giggle on the floor, or whatever activity that my family deems important for that space of time.

But all in all, I wouldn't trade this life for any other!
 Ciao,
 2LT Mom

Comments

Unknown said…
You are amazing! Love you so much! I always enjoy reading your posts! <3

Popular posts from this blog

I'm committed to Ten! Are You?

Her Hair, His Glory: Ebay Flowers and Headbands

Her Hair, His Glory: The Introduction